Sunday, October 28, 2007

#21 Podcasts

I was surprised to find out that podcasts are not only audio files. but also video files - I always that that podcasts were only non-musical audio. I was watching something online the other day and they continually referred to it as a 'podcast' - I thought they were wrong, but obviously not!!!

I used the podcast.net directory and tried searching for 'libraries' but nothing i found really interested me. I like podcast.net's searching capabilities and the way I could refine the search or extend it by using a keyword search.

The subjects covered by podcast.net are quite extensive, covering sports, hobbies, business or news and many more. I tried searching for 'scrapbooking' and found 6 results. It will be something different to listen to when walking. I added "Wholly Scrap" to my Bloglines account. I'll be exploring further and looking at finding some video podcasts as well :)

I can see a definite use for podcasting in libraries, not only for the public, but also for the staff. Meetings can be podcast so those who have been unable to attend can still here it and use the podcast with the minutes to gain a better understanding of what happened. Podcasting events such as Storytime, Rhyme Time and our Wyndham Wordfest would help those who have to miss out for one reason or another. and would also encourage others who have not attended previously but then saw something on our site.

Audacity is very easy to use and we have been using it with some success for our NLS4 events. The sound signal doesn't seem to be strong though, as we need to talk directly into a microphone to get clear podcasts.

No comments: