Thursday, October 25, 2007

#16 and # 17 Wikis

Wikis - I love them! I was first introduced to wikis at a presentation I went to at NLS2006 in Sydney in December 2006. I was intrigued by the whole concept but a little flattened when the speaker, who was talking about using wikis for information sevices, said that the wiki didn't work!

It was with mixed feelings that we then started a wiki for NLS4 as a means for collaborating and sharing all our information. It is a private wiki, and can only be accessed by members of the NLS4 team. It has proven to be invaluable and of course means that any of the team can access the wiki from anywhere at any time. I also love the way that I get emailed notification when the wiki is altered.

I recommended use of pbwiki when our library wanted to start one to get ideas from staff on the future direction of the library and also started one for the Children's and Young Adult area as a way to capture knowledge.

Library Success is a wiki that shares best practice within the library world. It is a great idea. The very nature of wikis. being an open collaborative tool with editable content, means that sometimes they are subject to inaccurate information being put on them, either deliberately or accidentally. I noticed that Library Success is now asking for email verification when an account is opened, for vandalism reasons.

I added my blog PBwiki Learning 2.0 SandBox wiki, the Favourite Blogs (had to use Aussie spelling :) ) page under Australian Blogs. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get a link to work - Keep getting an error on a page. So guys, the blog name is there, but it isn't a link. I will keep trying.

No comments: