Monday, October 22, 2007

#13 Tagging, folksomonies and social bookmarking in Del.icio.us

Del.icio.us - an odd name - I have often wondered how they came up with that name! I think the idea of sharing links like this is good - I used to do it with Furl and it sort of went by the wayside.

The great thing is that you can see what others have 'bookmarked' with the same tags and find sites that you may not have known about.

I can see a real use for this in academia, for teaching with students. You can have a link on Facebook to Del.icio.us links. Wouldn't it be good for a lecturer to set up a FB account for the subject and then use Del.icio.us to mark sites that the students needed to look at for their studies. Just a way to bring the learning into 'their space'.

I created a Del.icio.us account for myself, but had to do it from home, because of the IT restrictions we have at work. I wasn't too keen on having to download something onto my tool bar though - I don't like external things that are supposed to think for you - I find they can often have a lot of spy ware with them

On the whole. quite a good way to bookmark remotely.

No comments: